Monday, May 7, 2012

Design Wall Monday - May 7th

In spite of having round 2 of the sinus crud, I did manage to spend a little time in the sewing room over the weekend.  Thankfully the fever broke last night and I'm feeling much better this morning.  Just in time to go back to work. 

Actually, the all of last week was a good one in terms of sewing.  Fabric was cut to make more blocks for the May UFO, but as yet there is nothing to show on the design wall for that one.  The cutting and piecing requirements for the "C" letter block in the Scrappy Coffee Cup quilt was worked out, but no actual work has been done on it.  So again, nothing new on the design wall.  There was progress on the Fat Quarter Stars Quilt Along project. 

Fat Quarter Stars Quilt Along pattern
from Moose on the Porch Quilts

I've started framing the blocks.  I don't have enough fabric to set the quilt exactly according to the Moose on the Porch Quilts published pattern, but I've used the pattern as a guideline.

Also up on the design wall are the first 2 blocks of the Sweet Treats Quilt Along that Judy has going at Patchwork Times.

Sweet Treats by
Judy Laquidara

I didn't really intend to start anything new, but Judy's pattern for her May color palette quilt just stuck in my head.  I went to bed Friday night thinking about what fabrics there might be in the stash to make this quilt, but not really consciously thinking I'd start a version.  Then Saturday I was in the stash closet putting up some fabric that had just been ironed and folded when I spied the pile of 1920's red and blue fat quarters that had been used in another project.  The 1920 reproduction fabrics aren't usually my style, but one of the quilt alongs at the local quilt shop used blocks published in the Kansas City Star back in the 1920's and so I bought a few fat quarters to make this quilt.

1920's Red, White and Blue
Block patterns published in the Kansas City Star in the 1920's
Finished in 2009
This quilt turned out to be one of my favorites and had pride of place on our bed for about a year.  Unfortunately, My Guy is not a fan of sampler quilts and asked me to make something else for the bed.  Still this quilt is one of my favorites.  The Sweet Treats quilt will help use up what's left of those 1920's fabrics. 

That's it for me this week.  Check out all the other eye candy over at Judy's Patchwork Times

16 comments:

Vicki H. said...

I am a sample quilt addict! Love your pictured. The stars are wonderful. I think you will love the sweet treats quilt. I have made one similar to it and it was a fun time of 'brain candy.'

Sue Daurio said...

Lots of pretty things on display this week. Love the Sweet treats, it's going to be so pretty. Hope your're feeling better.

Barbara said...

I love your red, black, and white combo. That is my favorite color combination in quilts, I think. Your Sweet Treats blocks look great. I think those fabrics are perfect for that pattern. Sampler quilts are my favorite quilts to make. And you have something for the May NewFO, I see!

Kate said...

Sweet Treats is going to look great in those colors! And I like the sampler, even if your husband doesn't. ;)

Melinda said...

Your sampler is great, even if not a favorite of your guy. Love the new project you are working on.

One Minnesota Quilter said...

The color combos in all of your projects are great.

Really like the 1920's sampler repro quilt. Very striking.

Judy

Denise :) said...

Your FQSQA blocks look fantastic! I'm always amazed at how DIFFERENT the same blocks look with different fabrics!! :)

Larri said...

Look at you! Even down and sick you accomplished quite a bit. It all looks lovely. Hope you feel 100% soon. Happy Monday! ☺

Penny Foree said...

I love what you did using the 1920 fabrics. Hope you are on the mend.

AnnieO said...

Your sashing looks good in your RWB blocks and in your sampler quilt. I think you favor samplers and your guy will just have to get used to it! Glad you are feeling better.

kwiltnkats said...

You have been busy...and getting ready to be busier as it sounds. I sure understand how easy it can be to get yourself talked into something...but you will be using what you have and that is not such a bad thing. Sandi

Quilter Kathy said...

Love your sweet treats blocks...I'm definitely going to have to start one too!

Shay said...

Sweet treats is darling. Im feeling a new project coming along !

You managed to get a few things knocked off this weekend despite having sinus crud!

thea said...

I love the stars .. it's going to be absolutely beautiful. The sweet treat quilt along looks like lots of fun ..

Lynne said...

I, too, am not a fan of sampler quilts but that's usually because they're made in so many fabrics there's no place for the eye to rest. That being said, I think your blue and red quilt is lovely.

I'm contemplating making a sampler quilt myself because there are lots of techniques I want to try but don't necessarily want to repeat over and over!

Keep Stitchin' said...

I don't do many sampler quilts myself, but I must say, I LOVE this quilt! Your color and fabric choices are wonderful!

Sorry to hear you're not well again, but glad to hear you're on the mend. Sorry I haven't written much, hopefully that will improve soon also!
Trudy