Friday, March 4, 2011

Favorite Things Friday - March 4th

TGIF!  This week I'm definitely ready for Friday.  For the first time in I don't know how long, we don't have to be anywhere for the weekend.  No basketball games, no swim meets, no anything!   None of this, gulp down a cup of coffee, while madly looking for Kiddo's swim bag to see if that's where she left her team sweats.  No speed reading of blogs while I'm eating a quick bowl of cereal.  Yeah, I'm ready for this weekend.  Mainly because I'll get to spend some significant time with one of my favorite things......


my sewing machine. My Bernina has been with me since 2003.  I had been sewing on an inexpensive New Home machine which would not allow me to lower the feed dogs for free motion quilting (didn't find that out till I took the class).  After that experience, I decided a new machine was really necessary.  The 153 was not top of the line, but it was set up for what I wanted to do - quilt.  I know a lot of you have Berninas, did you gasp the first time you looked at the sticker price?  I still remember being amazed that a sewing machine could cost that much.  But the Bernina has been worth every penny!   I'm sure it has saved me thousands of dollars by allowing me to avoid those expensive therapy sessions and by reducing my stress has also reduced my medical bills.  So it's probably paid for itself by now.   



Another favorite is Foot #37, the 1/4 inch foot.  It's pretty much the only foot I use and I love it.  Using this foot made a big difference in my seam accuracy.  Now if the block is supposed to be 12.5" when it's pieced, I can pretty much get a 12.5" block without having to unsew a couple of seams.  And since my seam ripper is not one of my favorite things, that's a really good thing. 

I don't have a name for my machine, it's just the "Bernina".  Last year I bought a new Bernina 830.  I wanted to be able to use the stitch regulator and I wanted to try some embroidery as well.  The 830 has spent a lot of time in the shop recently, so the older Bernina has been back on my sewing table. In terms of piecing, I'm finding that the 153 is much better at that than the 830 is even with all it's wonderful capabilities.  I wish I had room to keep both machines out, then maybe I'd actually do some embroidery! 

That's it for FTF for me this week.  Hop over to Quilting in My Pyjamas for more favorite things. 

13 comments:

Keep Stitchin' said...

Glad to hear you get to spend time with your sewing machine! I know you've been crazy busy lately!
Thanks for sharing the info about your machine... I found it very interesting.
Have a great weekend!
Trudy

thea said...

I have a Bernina too and just love it. I think its a 550. I don't use all the great features ... thanks for the great post!

Unknown said...

I had a Bernina as my first machine. It lasted about 40 years, then it finally bit the dust. I know what you mean totally, totally.
I now have a Janome 6600 and everytime I sew with it, I think "bliss"!

seabreezequilts said...

I have a 440 and it is my fav fav thing love my machine especially when she is just hummin.

Larri said...

My new-to-me Bernina is "Aurora." She's a 430 w/the embroidery attachment. I'm still a bit afraid of her, though she does purr when I take a breath and actually sew with her. LOL

Great favourite! Thanks for sharing. Happy FTF! :o)

Paulette said...

I'm glad to hear you love your Bernina. I looked into one when I bought the Juki but it was just too far out of my price range. Maybe someday!

Kirsten said...

Great fav. I hope I get to spend some time with my baby today too. I have a Husquvarna, but I also looked into the Bernina.

Shay said...

Kate you and I are two of a handful of people who havent named our sewing machines. That's because we're rebels.

OK- This favourite is obviously a favourite of mine too. Isnt it interesting how we love different machines for different things. I hate the overlocking stitch on my Janome but on my cruddy old Elna it was perfect. (And yes my 1/4 inch foot is probably one of my most favourite things in the world !)

If you could go back now would you buy the same machine again? If the answer is yes - then you picked well.

Thanks for sharing one of your favourites again this week.

Anonymous said...

I bought that machine, gently used, in 2006, but mostly it's been in storage. I hope it survived the cold winter this last year. I've had my much older Viking with me on the road for so long, but I'd like to get the Bernina here, too, so I'm never without one when the other has to be cleaned. I see you have the bigger table, too. I bought one, but it didn't fit in the quilting space I had in the 5th wheel.

Mistea said...

Perfect favourite.
I'm with you a sewing machine will save way more than the original cost and that is probably just in its first year.
Enjoy your machine and your weekend.

AnnieO said...

My sewing machine is one of my favorite things too! I'd like to upgrade my machine but am suspicious of all those electronic bell and whistles--they seem to need a lot of pampering :) Enjoy your sewing time!

Denise in PA said...

I've had my Bernina 160 for over 10 years now - I *love* that machine!! I hope it lasts forever - I don't want newer, bigger, better. I just want my beloved 160. On a whim, I bought a Janome MC 6600 last year - it's a fine machine, but it's back in the box because it doesn't hold a candle to my Bernina. And, I don't name my machines either. I know a lot of people do, but it's just not my "thing" I guess. Enjoy your weekend!!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Thanks for rejuvinating your post this week Kate. ALways fun to read about what everyone uses.